Wednesday 9 August 2017

The White City - Karolina Ramqvist

Karin knew what she was getting herself into when she fell for John, the high-flying criminal and love of her life. But she never imagined things would turn out like this: John is now gone and the coke-filled parties, seemingly endless flow of money and high social status she previously enjoyed have been replaced by cut telephone lines, cut heat and cut cash. All that remains of Karin's former life is the big house he bought for her - and his daughter, the child Karin once swore she would never bring into their dangerous world.

Now Karin is alone with the baby, and the old promise of 'the family' has proved alarmingly empty. With the authorities zeroing in on organized crime, John's shady legacy is catching up with her, and the house is about to be seized. Over the course of a few nerve-wracking days, Karin is forced to take drastic measures in order to claim what she considers rightfully hers.

A slow-burning psychological thriller with a sophisticated, dreamlike atmosphere, The White City is both the portrayal of one woman's struggle to pull herself up from the paralyzing depths of despair, and an unflinching examination of what it means to lose control - over your body, your life and your fate.


My thoughts:
It did feel strange when I realised I was reading a book translated from my own language, oops. The translation seems to have been done well from what I can see.

This is a novella about a few days in Karin's life. Something has happened. She is now left with a big house. No money. Too many bills to pay and her man is gone. Jail, dead, something. And she has a baby to care for in a freezing house.

Karin, well she is obviously someone who is not great caring for herself. She needs a man to do things for her. She is left with resentment now when she never wanted a kid and now she has one. She is trying to find a few out of the mess that has been left to her. So did I care for her, not at first, but she does try to pick herself up, even if not always by the best ways.

I liked the quietness of her watching her young daughter play and not saying anything because Kari never talks to the child anyway. Which of course is horrible.

But I did feel it would have been better to read the previous book. Not that it is a series but there seems to be a book before this one where she is trapped in that same house, alone and wanting him there. Right, the house is important, aha, this is one of those books you should dissect at the table of literature. Great now I can feel my uni degree awakening, better step away.

Conclusion:
A short novella that takes no time at all to read

Cover
I do like snow

Paperback: 176 pages
Publisher: Grove Press; Main edition (3 Aug. 2017)
Translator: Saskia Vogel
Fiction
For review

39 comments:

  1. I really like that cover too. And how interesting! A translation from your own language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's hilarious that you read a book translated from your own language.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh what a predictament this heroine has to go through. Good it was a quick read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty cover but the story sounds kinda strange.

    For What It's Worth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahaha..on the translation. Now you have me curious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, I can only imagine how strange it'd be to realize you're reading something translated from your own first language!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've read Tuntematon sotilas in english and it was weird. But it was surprisingly good translation. I like the cover and I'm kinda waiting for snow ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think they have gotten better. But omg fantasy novels in the "olden" days, they sucked so much, suuuuucked. Such bad translations

      Delete
  8. Novellas are good when you don't have a lot of time to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! Bf took the baby and I said do not bother me before the book is done haha

      Delete
  9. LOL about reading the translated version!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Had to lol at the realizing it was translated from your own language. The plot sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't like helpless women (sorry sorry) I know it is not correct to say this but in this day and age I get annoyed when women feel they need a man to do everything for them. The house seems the over riding character in the book??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hear you, who likes them. But it was more like she was lazy to be honest

      Not really, it is just me reading in to things

      Delete
  12. Now this sounds different and I can see why it would stir curiosity. Ha, fun that it was a translation from your language, but good to know the translator did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To really know I would have to read the real deal

      Delete
  13. Hmm, I did wonder how much tension can be built in a short novella like this. But sounds like you enjoyed it, so that's good!

    ~Mogsy @ BiblioSanctum

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds intriguing and how funny it was a translation from your own language.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the sound of this one. I can imagine the surprise she you realized it was translated from your own language.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Glad it was a decent translation ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. How funny that you were reading a book translated from your own language. This sounds rather unique. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is awesome - reading a translated book. Anyhow, this novella sounds like the premise of several Hollywood movies about overindulging and the consequences when you crash. Hope she and the baby bond!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It hit closer to home now when I am a mum...

      Delete
  19. That's snow? *looks closer* Yes, I can tell that now. LOL. I am blind.

    ReplyDelete

Contributors

Copyright © 2008-2020 Book Girl of Mur-y-Castell All Rights Reserved. Proudly powered by Blogger

  © Blogger template Starry by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Modified by Lea

Back to TOP